Sunday, July 19, 2009

From The Evolution of the Post-Game Celebration, to...Evolution?



Macro evolution is a contentious topic. People that don't believe in evolution are often viewed as religous goobers with infantile IQs. I don't believe in macro evolution. Now, I will never be confused for a genius...but I did graduate college from a top 20, I'm currently enrolled in a top 20 for graduate school, and I did take both biology and chemistry in college, so I'm not a complete idiot (although my level of idiocy is probably arguable).

Since 1859, the theory of evolution has failed to fill some seriously gaping holes. And its quite obvious that we know substantially more about the complexities of animals/humans and the complexities of life's building blocks. There are some questions that just haven't been adquately answered. That doesn't stop some incredibly smart people from fully subscribing to the theory, regardless of shortcomings. I actually saw Richard Dawkins concede that maybe we originated from a more intelligent source because no plausible explanation can be attributed to our origins (he insinuated alien intervention, not God).

One quick example of a problem I have is that even if someone makes the huge leap to say that somehow a cell (which is quite complex) formed from a random chain of events, no one can explain how consciousness came about. You can create a ridiculously complex robot or computer program that can run circles around human capabilities, but you cannot create consciousness or true emotion, regardless of complexity or intelligence.

This is just one of the many issues I have with evolution. But aside from gaps in theory, the logic seems faulty. Am I really to believe a human, a shark, a snake, and a cat all had the same origin? Really? I mean...really? Random events generally do not create more complexities, specialties, and efficiencies - in fact, quite the opposite. There are over one million animal species in the world and we all had the same origin? It just doens't seem possible, especially when we see examples of animals that are so amazingly complex (the complexities of the human body and its processes are truly unbelievable, just look at DNA or the changes that occur during child birth for both the fetus and the mother) and animals with amazing specializations.

Evolution is a topic of great interest to me and I will write additional posts on the topic in the near future. Feel free to poke holes or make fun of my IQ and niavete, I'm used to it.

1 comment:

  1. Very well written and very sound. I disagree with certain aspects of your opinion but cannot refute your position; therefore I respect those opinions.
    I am a firm believer in the Triune God, yet I feel that evolution has, indeed, played some part in the development of a great many species. What sets me apart from most advocates of evolution theory is my unyielding belief that man did NOT evolve from a lesser species and until irrefutable proof of same is offered, I will continue to believe so.
    I've a feeling that this will become one of my "check-it-daily" blogs. Intelligence such as you possess is rarely found in these environs and is much appreciated and admired.
    Great work.

    ReplyDelete